1. First, let me thank His Excellency Dato Seri Dr. Mahathir bin Mohamad, Prime Minister for taking the time to officiate the International Conference on Administration of Islamic Law, his launching of IKIM's latest books and the dialogue session to be had with the participants of the conference.
2. I would also like to take the opportunity to welcome the participants of this conference among whom are those who come from the ASEAN countries such as Indonesia, Brunei, Singapore, the Philippines, and those representatives from Pakistan, Sudan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia, Morocco and South Africa.
3. Among the books that would be launched today is the one entitled, "Tinjauan Kepada Perundangan Islam". This book is the result of research undertaken by a group of local scholars who are well known in this country, and managed by IKIM. This book is not only interesting in terms of its approach since it is also comprehensive and contemporary in nature. I believe that such a book is not only to be welcomed by the public but should also be possessed by the people of this country since it would aid us in our attaintment of a closer understanding of the laws of Islam.
4. IKIM has also established a group of experts for making a study on the administration of Islamic family laws in the various states. Research is being undertaken. When it is finished, it would be of help to the courts and the legal practitioners of this country in their deliberations and interpretations on such laws. For next year, IKIM plans to hold a regional seminar on the "Administration of Islamic Family Laws". Before the seminar is held, IKIM will be sending a delegation of experts who will closely observe the position of Islamic family laws that are being administered in the ASEAN countries. At the same time, IKIM will be able to build upon its ties with its brethren in this region.
5. IKIM is also in the process of publishing its "Law Journal". It is expected to be launched by the end of this year. It is IKIM's hope that this journal will be spread among the practitioners of law in the ASEAN region.
6. Again I welcome the arrival of participants and thank those who have accepted the offer to prepare and present working papers in light of making this conference a success. May wel all learn and share our experiences in the administration of Islamic laws.
7. Before I end, I most respectfully invite, His Excellency Dato Seri Dr. Mahathir bin Mohamd, Prime Minister to officiate the seminar, to launch IKIM's latest publication and to hold a dialogue session with conference participants.