SPEECH BY YAB TUN DR. MAHATHIR BIN MOHAMAD, PRIME MINISTER OF MALAYSIA
AT THE MYPERINTIS 4TH ANNIVERSARY AND FUNDRAISING DINNER ON 23 AUGUST 2019 (FRIDAY), AT 8.30 PM AT THE ONE WORLD HOTEL,
PETALING JAYA, SELANGOR
1. It gives me great pleasure to be here tonight to celebrate the 4th anniversary of MyPerintis.
2. Tonight we reflect on MyPerintis journey thus far in its aspiration to make Malaysia a better nation.
3. It is also an opportunity for MyPerintis to thank all its esteemed partners, corporations, families and friends for their support, without which MyPerintis will not be celebrating its anniversaries.
MyPerintis – THE SUCCESS STORY
4. As a non-governmental organisation that promotes youth empowerment, I am happy to note that MyPerintis has done a good job in encouraging and promoting youth to play their part in national development and economic growth.
5. To ensure that these efforts continue to engage and interest the youths, programmes and innovative ideas must be introduced continuously and progressively.
6. Earlier, I launched MyPerintis Kurnia’s Program Adiwira that focuses on not only educating children and parents about road safety, but at the same time, giving out more than 50,000 helmets. While it may not seem to be something extraordinary, it serves as a reminder to all Malaysians that road safety is one aspect which many take for granted.
7. If the older generation may find it difficult to change their bad road habits, we need to inculcate the good habits with the young.
8. Apart from that, MyPerintis’ Youth Trailblazers Challenge brings young people of different and diverse backgrounds to a singular platform, encouraging them to present innovative and bold ideas in addressing the country’s social economic challenges.
9. Tonight we will witness the launch of Trailblazing Change: The Rise of Malaysian Future Shifter, a book written by Datuk Lawrence Low, the founding president of MyPerintis. In this book, he shares his life story, his childhood, his failure in business to discovering his passion in empowering young people.
10. It is hoped that that his book will inspire others to be able to continue charting their future positively despite suffering from the knocks and falls that came along their paths.
11. It is the Government’s hope that the young generation will always be able to rise up to the challenges, dare to explore their fullest potential, make an impact and advocate meaningful and progressive change.
12. As such, it is my fervent hope to see more programmes that emphasises on education, employability, entrepreneurship, arts and culture as well as volunteerism.
THE WAY FORWARD
13. The main idea behind the establishment of MyPerintis is establish a youth movement that focuses on acquiring acquisition so as create informed young citizens who will then contribute effectively in the shaping of the nation’s future.
14. I believe that young people should competitive and prepared to go the extra mile in pursuing their dreams and ambitions but it must be accompanied by good core values such as honesty, discipline, and trustworthiness, among others. They have to realise that there’s no shortcuts to success and if there, they don’t last.
SHARED PROSPERITY – THE INVOLVEMENT OF YOUTH
15. The new Government has put in place new initiatives and programmes for the nation to move forward. In all these efforts, the youths figure prominently in all aspects of it, either participating directly or that the initiatives are specifically aimed at empowering them.
16. My hope, through all these, is that we will be able to harness all the positive values of the youth – their idealism, enthusiasm, commitments and dedication and so forth. But to inculcate these values, they need to be prompted and the best path to this end is to promote quality education among them.
17. I am constantly updated with MyPerintis initiatives and that several had been able to reach out to the young located in various corners of the nation, cutting across regions, races, religions and gender.
18. The initiatives undertaken by MyPerintis is consistent with our Shared Prosperity vision that aspire to ensure that the nation’s wealth and development are enjoyed by all Malaysian, cutting across regions, races, religions and gender – narrowing the gap of inequalities.
19. It is pursued to ensure Malaysia continues on its path of sustainable development, which will in turn ensure harmony and stability among all of us.
20. Focus must be given to the nation’s talent and resources, capacity building and skill- enhancement programmes in the private and public sectors.
21. I hope that we can produce a competitive, productive and relevant workforce tailored to meet the needs of the industry, as well as the present and future needs.
THE HOPE FOR OUR YOUNG GENERATION
22. At my age, I have seen many successes and failures.
23. Some soared and achieved more and more successes. But as many, if not more, floundered and fell.
24. Yet, it is the ones that were able to pick themselves up, persevered and recalibrate their direction that were the most inspiring.
25. Just like the proverbial phoenix, they went on to scale greater heights. Many learnt about humility and that the bottom-line, profit and loss are not the only things that matters.
26. I am not saying that you must fail first to discover success. What is important is when facing failures you must never give up and turn it into an opportunity to learn a new lesson in life.
27. Alternatively, when you’re successful, never rest on your laurels and believe that it will last forever.
28. Today, on the 4th Anniversary of MyPerintis, Yayasan Perintis Malaysia is incepted. The Yayasan is going to be a research think tank focused on the aspirations of youths.
29. It is to undertake efforts to look on the impact of the disruptive technologies brought about by the Industrial Revolution 4.0 on youths and how youths can harness all these advanced technologies for their betterment.
30. On that note, I wish MyPerintis all the best and is ready to move forward and take on new challenges.
- Speech at The 100 Most Influential Young Entrepreneurs Award” (100 MIYE) 2019
- Speech at the Launch of The 10th University Scholars Leadership Symposium (USLS) 2019
- Speech at Open Dialogue – Youth Ask, Tun Answers
- Keynote Address at The International Social Well-Being Conference 2019 & The Launch of Malaysia@Work
- Keynote Address at Al Sharq Youth 5th Annual Conference 2019
205 total views, 1 views today