KEYNOTE SPEECH BY YAB TUN DR MAHATHIR BIN MOHAMAD
PRIME MINISTER OF MALAYSIA
AT THE INTERNATIONAL MEDICAL DEVICE CONFERENCE 2019 (IMDC)
MALAYSIA MEDICAL DEVICE EXPO 2019 (MYMEDEX)
MEDICAL INNOVATION EXHIBITION & CONFERENCE 2019 (MEDINOVA)
“ADVANCED MEDICAL DEVICE INNOVATION FOR IMPROVED HEALTHCARE”
ON 15 OCTOBER 2019 (TUESDAY), AT 9.00 AM
AT MALAYSIA INTERNATIONAL TRADE & EXHIBITION CENTRE (MITEC)
1. First of all, I would like to thank the Ministry of Health for inviting me to the International Medical Device Conference (IMDC), Malaysia Medical Device Expo 2019 (MYMEDEX) and Medical Innovation Exhibition and Conference 2019 (MEDINOVA).
2. It is indeed a pleasure to see the presence of so many distinguished guests this morning to commemorate yet another achievement for Medical Device Authority.
3. I would also like to take this opportunity to welcome all the foreign delegates to Malaysia. I hope that your stay will be an eventful one. Do take time to explore this country and you will discover that the tagline “Malaysia Truly Asia” is not merely a tourism promotional tagline but a way of life here.
4. And on tourism promotion, do remember that next year is Visit Malaysia Year 2020 and do spread the word when you return home.
MEDICAL DEVICE AUTHORITY
5. I am sure the conference and exhibition will benefit all of us as it is aimed at highlighting and identifying areas that require the attention of both the healthcare community and the Government. It is my fervent hope that the conference will provide us further inputs and ideas and help us map our strategies and directions in providing better health care and services for our nation.
6. The well-being of our people is a priority thrust in our pursuits of a balanced development that goes in tandem with the economic growth. The well-being of Malaysian citizens achieved major inroads very much through the concerted efforts of multiple stakeholders. These efforts have ranked Malaysia first in the Best Healthcare in the World category of the 2019 International Living Annual Global Retirement Index.
7. And contemporary health system relies on the contribution of human resources and medical technologies. Medical devices are one aspect of health technologies as they equip health care providers with tools to perform their functions effectively and efficiently.
8. While medical devices offer health care providers the opportunities to supply a better service, there is a need for a national system in terms of selection and procurement. It is essential as these management processes will address the safety and performance issues of the medical
9. A Medical Device Authority that is entrusted to address public health and safety issues related to medical devices and to facilitate medical device trade and industry can be the answer to it.
MEDICAL DEVICES AND THE ECONOMY
10. Further to that, the medical device industry is also expected to impact positively on the Malaysian economy. It has been designated as one of the ‘3+2’ high-growth sub-sectors under the Eleventh Malaysian Plan.
11. For instant, Malaysia is the world’s largest producer and leading exporter of rubber gloves, contributing 63 percent of the global supply. The Malaysian Rubber Glove Manufacturers Association (MARGMA) estimated that the global demand for rubber gloves in 2019 is at 300 billion gloves with an expected annual growth of 12 percent. It is also estimated that 188 billion gloves will be produced by Malaysia in 2019.
12. According to MIDA’s record, from 2014 to 2018, the total investments approved for medical gloves manufacturing in Malaysia is RM4.2 billion. Export revenue of rubber gloves from Malaysia increased from RM5.9 billion in 2007 to RM17.74 billion in 2018. In 2019, the export revenue is projected to reach a total of RM 19.88 billion. Overall, the global market for the medical rubber gloves industry shows a positive trend.
13. Therefore, in ensuring Malaysia remains a “preferred choice” for foreign investors, we are mindful of the need to provide a conducive environment to encourage the inflow of foreign capital and technology, as well as to strengthen the competitiveness of Malaysia’s industries in global market.
14. Everyone in the business have a role to play. The Malaysian Government through the Medical Device Authority should be supported by the private sectors, non-governmental organisations as well as the higher learning institutions.
15. Hence the importance of this Medical Device event, where all parties involved, from start-ups, mid-level entrepreneurs right up to the big players, are here with the international players to drive the industry to the next level, to make Malaysia as the international hub to source medical device.
FOURTH INDUSTRIAL REVOLUTION – THE MEDICAL DEVICE INDUSTRY
16. There have been a lot of narratives regarding the Fourth Industrial Revolution (Industry 4.0) which brings along with it artificial intelligence, innovation, automation, Internet of Things (IOT) and other
technological advancement and how all these are expected to impact all industries including the medical device industry.
17. As the nation moves towards Industry 4.0, the accelerating pace of innovation in the medical devices industry is evidenced by local companies beginning to undertake R&D into their manufacturing processes. It is crucial that industry players continue innovating and revolutionising their product development, manufacturing processes, and business models.
18. I have however always reminded industrialists and entrepreneurs that much as we do not have the choice but to embrace the new technological advancements if we wish to remain competitive, it is equally important not to forget that these advancements must benefit the people equally. They should ultimately be the bottom line.
19. I hope the distinguished speakers, participants and exhibitors who are present here for the exhibition and conference will have a productive and meaningful session.
20. I would also like to congratulate the Medical Device Authority Malaysia and My Events International for organising this event to showcase Malaysia’s Medical Device Industry.
21. On that note, I hereby launch the International Medical Device Conference, Malaysia Medical Device Exhibition 2019 and Medical Innovation Exhibition & Conference 2019.
- IJN Jubilant Journey Dinner 2018
- Speech for Opening Ceremony of the 15th Langkawi International Maritime and Aerospace Exhibition (LIMA’19)
- Speech at International Conference on IR 4.0
- Speech at 5G Malaysia Showcase 2019
- Speech at The Opening of PIPOC 2019
442 total views, 4 views today