ALOR SETAR, Sept 10 — Tun Dr Mahathir Mohamad has thrown a spanner in the works on the proposed signing of a formal political pact between the opposition parties of UMNO and PAS on Saturday.
The prime minister said PAS has to first retract its statement labelling UMNO as a party of infidels (kafir) before the two parties finalise their cooperation with the signing of a charter.
He said PAS president Datuk Seri Abdul Hadi Awang has yet to officially retract his statement labelling UMNO as a party of infidels so as to enable PAS to forge cooperation with UMNO.
“Even the United Nations charter has been unable to stop wars, what more the UMNO-PAS charter. They were (political) rivals. PAS has said UMNO is a party of infidels,” he said with a hint of sarcasm at a press conference here.
Dr Mahathir, who is the chairman of the ruling Pakatan Harapan coalition, was asked to comment on a recent joint statement by UMNO secretary-general Tan Sri Annuar Musa and PAS secretary-general Datuk Takiyuddin Hassan on the charter.
The charter, which was drawn up by a joint committee, is to be signed by the presidents of the two parties at Dewan Merdeka of the Putra World Trade Centre.
- PH is not afraid of PAS, UMNO combination
- PM Calls for Caution Over Racial, Religious Sensitivities
- Dr Mahathir questions whether Islamic gathering was for religion or politics
- Resignation of PAC members from opposition ‘their own business’ – Mahathir
- Let Dr Mahathir finish his job before he steps down – Abdul Rashid
216 total views, 2 views today