SPEECH BY YAB TUN DR. MAHATHIR BIN MOHAMAD, PRIME MINISTER OF MALAYSIA
AT THE “100 MOST INFLUENTIAL YOUNG ENTREPRENEURS AWARD” (100MIYE) 2019
2 AUGUST 2019 (FRIDAY), 8.30 PM
THE GRAND BALLROOM, KLCC
1. Firstly, I would like to thank Armani Media Sdn Bhd for inviting me to the “100 Most Influential Young Entrepreneurs Award 2019” event this evening.
2. It is indeed a pleasure to see young entrepreneurs in Malaysia scaling the ladder of success and being passionate about what they do.
3. Tonight’s event should encourage the winners and other young entrepreneurs to pursue their respective businesses and putting in their best efforts.
4. In turn, the event complements the Government’s effort in promoting and encouraging local entrepreneurship.
5. On the flip side, it affirms that Malaysia offers a conducive environment for entrepreneurship to flourish as evidenced by the successes and achievements of these young entrepreneurs.
ENTREPRENEURSHIP AND ITS CHALLENGES
6. Young Malaysian entrepreneurs continue to prove that they can, and many already have, driven innovation and economic growth. Their ability to do so has brought about positive changes to our society.
7. Sometimes, we lament about the negative development among our youths. The emergence of these successful and driven young entrepreneurs however sustains our faith in youths and the hope for the future of our nation.
8. We are currently dealing with an unprecedented pace of technological advancements and disruptions that emerge from the Fourth Industrial Revolution. Nations are dependent on their youths to keep pace and their capacity to harness these changes.
9. In Malaysia, it is not different. The youths are born into these new technologies and they grew up as these technologies evolve and achieve new levels of advancement and sophistications.
10. It is only natural that these youths are better equipped and capable in embracing these new and advanced technologies. Of course, it requires them to have interest, passion and alertness as well.
11. Their adaptability and understanding of these new technologies will allow them to be innovative and creative in wanting to explore and introduce new economic opportunities and industries.
12. In turn they create new employment and skills that without doubt will further enrich the nation and open up opportunities on the international stage as well.
ENTREPRENEURSHIP – THE WAY FORWARD
13. Being awarded the “Most Influential Young Entrepreneurs” award should mean that you have done something that others were incapable or are not able to do it equally well.
14. It should mark the beginning of a new journey, new milestones to achieve and new heights to scale.
15. On the part of the Government, we are pushing for strategies to nurture young and budding entrepreneurs. Through the National Entrepreneurship policy 2030, the Government hopes to instil a culture of entrepreneurship to drive this sector to contribute up to 50% of the nation’s GDP by 2030.
16. With these policies in place, we aim to create a culture of entrepreneurship that encourages entrepreneurs to become job creators and to provide guidance to those working in their respective industries.
ENTREPRENEURS – VALUES AND INTEGRITY
17. We have spoken a lot about how we hope to have entrepreneurs that would drive the nation forward in terms of its economy, development and growth.
18. To some, it may sound only about profit, monetary gains and bottom lines.
19. But more important as we strive to create successful economic models through entrepreneurships, is that our entrepreneurs grow alongside noble values – integrity and honesty.
20. These values are important if entrepreneurs wish to have sustainability and longevity in their ventures. Without these values, success becomes mechanical bereft of a soul to it.
21. But do remember that being a winner is not only when we are accorded the recognition, it is how we feel within. And success should never get to the head.
22. On that note, I would again like to congratulate the winners. May you inspire others to success.
- Speech at The MyPerintis 4th Anniversary Dinner
- Speech at Sheikh Tamim Bin Hamad Al-Thani International ACE Award 2018
- Speech at The Binary University’s 35th Anniversary Gala Dinner
- Speech at the Launch of The 10th University Scholars Leadership Symposium (USLS) 2019
- Keynote Address at Al Sharq Youth 5th Annual Conference 2019
2,299 total views, 8 views today