SPEECH BY YAB TUN DR. MAHATHIR BIN MOHAMAD, PRIME MINISTER OF MALAYSIA
AT THE OFFICIAL VISIT TO AIRASIA REDQ
ON 16 AUGUST 2019 (FRIDAY), 3.30 PM AT THE AIRASIA HEADQUARTERS (REDQ)
1. It is indeed a pleasure to be here at AirAsia’s headquarters, RedQ, dubbed as the home of the World’s Best Low-Cost Airline.
AIRASIA – WORLD’S BEST LOW-COST AIRLINE
2. I was informed that this is the centre of AirAsia’s operations across Asia Pacific. Since my last visit to LCCT or the Low-Cost Carrier Terminal in 2011, the evolution of low-cost carriers into the primary form of air travel in Southeast Asian is quite phenomenal.
3. I would like to congratulate AirAsia for spearheading the budget air travel revolution in this region, and achieving numerous milestones along the way.
4. Being named the World’s Best Low-Cost Airline at the Skytrax World Airline Awards 2019 for the 11th consecutive year has made AirAsia somewhat the trend-setter in air travel with people around the region and in turn making AirAsia their preferred airline.
UTILISING LATEST TECHNOLOGIES AND INNOVATION TO ENHANCE CUSTOMER EXPERIENCE
5. AirAsia comes across as a wonderful Malaysian success story founded on innovation. It was the first airline in Asia to sell flights online when the rest of the industry was still using travel agents. It was also the first airline in Asia to have a mobile app and to take social media engagement with its guests seriously.
6. In terms of airport experience, AirAsia was the first to implement self-service facilities including check-in kiosk, self-bag tag and self-bag drop machines – which I have experienced just now.
7. And today, AirAsia is taking its guest experience one step further by showcasing the possibility of future air travel and digital airports.
8. This is in line with Industry 4.0, or the Fourth Industrial Revolution, where enhanced connectivity and automation have led to the creation of smart, autonomous systems fuelled by data and machine learning that are more efficient and less wasteful.
9. AirAsia innovations such as AVA (AirAsia Virtual Allstar), the Artificial Intelligence (AI) powered chatbot and FACES (Fast Airport Clearance Experience System), will help propel the travel industry into the future.
10. I look forward to seeing all these creative technological innovations in all airports in Malaysia in the future.
CONTRIBUTION TO MALAYSIA’S TOURISM SECTOR AND INDUSTRY REVOLUTION 4.0
11. AirAsia has contributed significantly to Malaysia’s tourism sector since its inception in 2001 and I believe that, with these new technologies, AirAsia will continue to put Malaysia on the map, at the same time paving the way for the usage of new technologies in the travel industry.
12. Malaysia, too, is forging ahead with Industry 4.0. While the potential for growth is tremendous, it comes down to knowledge in application.
13. Hence, businesses not only have to arm themselves with new knowledge, they should also take risks to apply their newfound knowledge to create new products and services and new processes to boost productivity and efficiency.
14. I am delighted to see AirAsia constantly challenging itself to adapt and master new technologies in its quest for continuous improvement and innovation.
15. RedQ, I believe in the spirit of AirAsia’s innovativeness, is the workplace of the future, built to foster collaboration and creativity through open plan spaces as well as accommodate modern modes of living, so AirAsia’s employees, the Allstars, can work remotely. This is an important consideration given the regional nature of AirAsia’s operations.
16. Before I conclude, I am sure you’re all aware that success will always bring along higher expectations and place you under much more scrutiny. If you’re not careful and unable to meet and resolve some of the more reasonable expectations and criticisms, the successes may turn against you.
17. It is about managing success and that is what AirAsia should give much consideration.
18. On that note, I would like to congratulate AirAsia on its successes and if you remain focus and innovative, I believe you are well on your next phase of transformation to attain greater heights.
- Speech at The 100 Most Influential Young Entrepreneurs Award” (100 MIYE) 2019
- Keynote Speech at The Launch of Beyond Paradigm Summit 2019
- The Launch of INDUSTRY4WRD National Policy on Industry 4.0
- Commencement Speech at The Convocation Ceremony of Asia School of Business Class of 2019
- The 2018 Conferment of Fellowship of The Academy of Sciences Malaysia
616 total views, 5 views today