PETALING JAYA, May 28 (Bernama) — The government will continue to give special treatment to Bumiputera contractors including in the East Coast Rail Link (ECRL) project, although it has yet to decide on the quota, says Prime Minister Tun Dr Mahathir Mohamad.
“I would like to explain that the old system of giving some special treatment (to Bumiputera contractors) is still there and it goes on including negotiated tender.
“The open tender will still be negotiated but (only) in special cases,” he told a news conference here today.
Without elaborating further, Dr Mahathir said among the special cases included companies that represent some of the cooperatives.
The Malaysian Bumiputera Contractors Association has recently asked the Pakatan Harapan government to give a special quota of at least 20 per cent of the local works portion in the ECRL project to the Bumiputera contractors.
Under the new supplementary agreement signed on April 12, Dr Mahathir said China Communications Construction Co Ltd (CCCC) has agreed to ensure that 40 per cent of the civil works are awarded to local contractors.
- No Decision yet on Method of Reducing Toll – Dr Mahathir
- Lower Financial Commitment Following Improved ECRL Deal
- ECRL Project to Continue on Suitable Scale After Negotiation – PM
- ECRL Negotiations by Previous Govt Not Transparent – PM
- Government to take six months to study RTS benefit – PM Mahathir
523 total views, 2 views today