KUALA LUMPUR, April 9 (Bernama) — Prime Minister Tun Dr Mahathir Mohamad said the Tengku Mahkota of Johor Tunku Ismail Sultan Ibrahim has the right to speak about or criticise the government.
He said Tunku Ismail is a Malaysian citizen and there was nothing to stop him from voicing his opinions.
“He can speak about anything like a normal citizen, can criticise the government as long as he doesn’t break the law. If he makes statements which can be considered seditious, we will take action against him.
“He is not above the law. In fact, nobody in Malaysia is above the law. He can make that choice himself, if he wants to be a politician, he can but there is nothing to prevent any citizen of Malaysia from expressing his or her opinions,” he told a press conference at the Parliament lobby today.
He said this when asked to comment about Tunku Ismail regularly voicing criticisms, which were indirectly aimed at Putrajaya.
- Dr Mahathir regrets arrest of social media user
- Targeted Fuel Subsidy Right Move to Help B40 Group – Dr Mahathir
- Malaysia Will Speak the Truth at UNGA – Dr Mahathir
- RM 7 Million Allocation for Tanjung Piai Is Not to Gain Votes – Dr Mahathir
- Palm Oil Issue: Indian Government Has Not Said Anything – Dr Mahathir
362 total views, 2 views today