MANILA, March 7 (Bernama) — Prime Minister Tun Dr Mahathir Mohamad was given a state welcome at Malacanang Palace here Thursday, the first such reception given to a foreign head of government by the Philippines under the administration of President Rodrigo Duterte.
Upon arrival at the palace, Dr Mahathir was accorded the honour of inspecting a guard-of-honour mounted by the Philippine Armed Forces.
Dr Mahathir was accompanied by Duterte during the inspection of the guard-of-honour, after which the national anthems of Malaysia and the Philippines were played along with the firing of a 21-gun salute.
Duterte then invited Dr Mahathir into the palace where the latter signed the guest book, after which a meeting of the Malaysian and Philippine delegations was held, headed by the two leaders, respectively.
Dr Mahathir and Duterte then issued a joint press statement.
The Malaysian prime minister also attended a state banquet in his honour hosted by Duterte.
Earlier, Dr Mahathir laid a wreath at the Jose Rizal Monument at the Rizal Park.
The memorial was built to commemorate the executed Filipino nationalist Jose Rizal.
- PM Tun Dr Mahathir Arrives in Manila for Three-Day Visit
- Duterte shares various issues of mutual interest with Dr Mahathir
- Malaysia assures Philippines of commitment to help develop Mindanao
- Middle-Road Approach to Teaching Science, Mathematics – PM
- Pakistan Accords Official Welcome to PM
412 total views, 2 views today