First, I would like to take this opportunity to thank the organising committee of MMU's Third Invitational Taekwondo Championship for inviting me to launch the tournament. It is with great anticipation that I stand here today.
2. Congratulations are in order for the organising committee of the MMU Taekwondo Club for its effort in coordinating and taking charge of this tournament. It is hoped that with events such as these, more and more of our youths would be attracted to actively participate in Taekwondo Clubs in their respective universities, colleges and schools.
3. As chancellor, it fills me with great pride when I hear of MMU events that involve students from many different fields of study, from many different institutions. The participants from different race and creed have all gathered here today, a testimony of their love towards one sport - Taekwondo.
4. There are many facets to Taekwondo, as there are rules and code of ethics that must be adhered to. It is a display of discipline, agility, and strength. By taking part in today's tournament, you are not trying to hurt your opponent. You have been disciplined not to do so. You are merely testing your strength - both your physical and your mental strength. You are given a platform today to challenge your boundaries and in doing so rediscover your limitations.
5. These are the skills that are needed in order to survive in the real world today - physical and mental strength, an eagerness to rise to challenges, a never- say-fail attitude, a willingness to learn from past mistakes and readiness to stand up after falling down.
6. I am confident that events such as today's tournament would be able to foster the spirit of `Muhibbah' and `Perpaduan' amongst youths regardless of race, creed or cultural background. At the same time, I hope that the participants of this tournament will compete fairly in the true spirit of sportsmanship where winning is not everything. For those who do face defeat, do not surrender. Keep your chin up and work harder towards your goals.
7. Once again, I would like to applaud the organising committee of the tournament and all who have contributed their time, energy, and support in making this event a success.
8. With Bismillahirrahmanirrahim, I hereby officiate the MMU 3rd Invitational Taekwondo Tournament 2003.